Sunday, March 25, 2012

Live from Costa Rica

For each trip that I take I am going to create a list. A list of pros and cons for each country. Each destination. In hopes that when deciding on a destination people can have a realistic expectation without being over idealized. For me Costa Rica has many parts. However I think one misconception is that scarlet macaws and jaguars are roaming all over. There are lots of trees. Yet it is not so dense. There are areas within the town that has a plethora of flora and fauna. Mostly flora. Anyway. Food is somewhat inaccessible in areas of isolated resorts. So you become hostage of resort costs. I was rather disappointed in not seeing many frogs. Although I did see the blue jeans frog. I had hoped to see more naturally occurring. The resort lifestyle is something that consists mostly of planning for me at least. Arranging taxis and figuring out the best local spots. The cost of taxis back and forth can be prohibitive. All in all the Costa Rican people take pride in their environment and not so much in national currency. There is much to see and many hours drive in between. I would recommend Costa Rica for the keen hiker, bird watcher and not those looking for night life. Not for those looking for fashion or lots of variety in eateries. I would recommend a healthy budget for taxis or renting a car. Biggest great surprise: hot springs. Biggest Let down: Lack of ease in seeing local wildlife and distance between places. Definitely worth renting a car.

1 comment: